The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centers in Chicago, Toronto and Hollywood. We have full time touring ensembles, casts on Norwegian Cruise Lines, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
Reporting to the President, The Vice President, Human Resources will be the functional lead for all people and culture initiatives at The Second City. This strategic leader would be joining the company at the beginning of our culture transformation journey and will be responsible for designing and implementing HR best practices, effectively leading a high performance HR team and cultivate a productive, diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace to ultimately support the forward-thinking mission and vision of The Second City.
The Vice President, Human Resources will be a business partner, advisor and confidante to the President and the executive leadership team and will work side-by-side with the executive leadership team to identify, develop and drive HR strategies to support the company’s continued growth. The successful Vice President candidate will be an enthusiastic, strong-willed, and passionate leader with executive presence and an uncanny ability to persuade, influence and inspire people. The VP, HR must be confident, firm, and comfortable with navigating a fast-paced environment with many competing priorities, managing ambiguity and delivering tough messages or unpopular decisions. A leader with demonstrated success in leading culture transformations will be ideal. The Vice President must be innovative and flexible, able to “understand the big picture” and be proactive by anticipating the needs of the leadership team and employees rather than operating reactively. This leader must be able to create plans that map how to accomplish the business goals and objectives. This is an integral operational and strategic executive leadership position within a company on a culture transformation journey in a financially challenged climate, so experience in a similar environment is highly desirable.
This leader will provide HR leadership to the Human Resources team and leadership oversight for approximately 200 full-time and part-time employees in all Second City locations (Chicago, Hollywood and Toronto, Canada). The Vice President will drive HR strategy in all areas of Human Resources including talent management, talent acquisition, benefits administration, compensation, learning and development, and employee communications. Experience with a unionized workforce is a plus.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the company’s human resources function and HR team performance
- Brings new and innovative ideas, policy implementation and new employee programs that will enhance the company culture and employee experience
- Partner with the Director, Diversity Equity and Inclusion to implement and continually improve a comprehensive, company-wide diversity equity and inclusion strategy and programs incorporating the existing efforts in the theater division
- Evaluate and improve the talent acquisition process across the company to shorten time-to-hire and time-to-productivity of new hires
- Maintain and enhance a talent management process to ensure that the company maximizes the full potential of its human capital
- Design and direct the performance management process across the company
- Design succession planning model and oversee succession management processes across the company
- Design and implement department-specific employee development programs that improves employee performance and ensures top talent for future company growth
- Enhance, develop and coordinate companywide employee and community communications and team-building initiatives
- Evolve and maintain comprehensive, cost effective employee benefits programs, including managing annual open enrollment
- Manage workers’ compensation insurance and claims processes
Experience and Education
- 12+ years of progressive HR leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or related field is required
- HR or PHR certification highly preferred
- Proven ability to work effectively with employees at all levels, and from diverse and unique backgrounds and experiences
- Flexibility and determination to develop processes that will be effective within a dynamic and creative environment
- Positive, flexible, and collaborative leadership style
- Strong knowledge of all HR disciplines, with expertise in talent management and learning and development
- Knowledge of HR laws, rules, and regulations
- Working knowledge of HR Information Systems and ability to utilize those systems for maximum HR results. Knowledge of ADP Workforce is a plus.