About The Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes The Second City Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for effective management, analysis, and problem resolution of the company's outstanding accounts and the application of payments while maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Works with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit including the preparation of account reconciliations
- Manages the corporate credit card program by enrolling new users, reviews all transactions, maintains reporting hierarchy and provides employee training for expense reporting
- Assists other finance areas such as accounts payable
- Reviews and manages the project accounting for Second City Works which includes labor cost allocation and revenue recognition and reconciling information from Salesforce
- Reconciles receivables, work-in-process, and deferred revenue accounts for SCW monthly
- Responsible for billing all corporate clients timely and accurately as well as following up on collections and handling of customer inquiries
- Deposits all company checks through a check scanner
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is required
- 1+ years of relevant accounting experience
- Must possess basic math skills, the ability to analyze figures, knowledge of accounting principles, and excellent verbal and written skills.
- They must be able to multitask, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is also required.
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.