The Second City is the premier brand in improve-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centers in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. We have full time touring ensembles, the Harold Ramis Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
The Sous Chef is second in command in our kitchen, following our Executive Chef’s specifications and guidelines. The successful candidate will employ its culinary and managerial skills in order to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our customers’ satisfaction.
Important note: Every day is a high volume day with peaks and valleys as theater goers arrive and order within a small window. Catered events happen regularly both in the theaters and 1959. These events often happen at the same time as regular service. Only the candidates with love of this rush should apply. The ideal candidate will also be available for all special events and should be flexible to adjust as needed.
- Oversee the menu and operations 1959 restaurant and for three theaters in up kitchen
- Assist is daily banquet events and pre show
- Responsible for delivering the highest quality food
- Run an efficient kitchen with quick food delivery, without compromising quality
- Responsible for inventory & ordering of products
- Writing 1959 kitchen line cook schedule
- Expedite service from the inside on the line and outside
- Control food waste, reading the garbage, manage breakage
- Manage the food runners
- Assist in coding and imputing invoices
- Managing dish staff, checking in and out with them.
- Managing staff, leading by example and follow through with enforcing company policies
- Coordinating maintenance request as needed
- Recording temp logs for 1959 kitchen coolers with HACCP standers
- Culinary degree is preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing a large staff
- Strong communication skills both to direct reports as well as to senior management
- Ability to lead by example
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to cleanliness and efficiency
- Ability to multitask
- Has strong leadership, coaching and training skills
- Food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Ability to lift bend and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Maintain an attention to detail while working in a high-volume environment.
- Detail-oriented and organized
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
All interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with the subject line “Sous Chef”. No phone calls, please.