About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
About 1959 Kitchen & Bar
Taking its name from the year of Second City’s founding, 1959 Kitchen & Bar is considered one of Chicago’s best hidden gems. With its sleek retro vibe that pays homage to The Second City’s rich history, it features a little something for everyone. The menu ranges from savory pub fare to more specialty dining options. Drink-wise, choose anything from the latest craft beers and cocktails to the Chicago staples. Whether it’s a pre-show warm-up or post-show nightcap, 1959 is the perfect complement to one of Chicago’s greatest treasures.
The Sous Chef is second in command in our kitchen, following our Executive Chef’s specifications and guidelines. The successful candidate will employ culinary and managerial skills in order to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our customers’ satisfaction.
Important note: Every day is a high volume day with peaks and valleys as theater goers arrive and order within a small window. Catered events happen regularly both in the theaters and 1959. These events often happen at the same time as regular service. Only the candidates with love of this rush should apply. The ideal candidate will also be available for all special events and should be flexible to adjust as needed.
- Thorough hands on approach, develop and promote learning for all back of house employees.
- Upholding the highest standards of food safety, food handling and sanitation requirements to ensure the health and safety of staff and guests.
- Overseeing and ensuring that all company systems and policies are maintained at all times.
- Ensure consistent execution of company policies.
- Manage labor house and kitchen waste.
- Be available to fill in as needed to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the restaurant as directed by the restaurant manager or immediate supervisor
- Complying with health and food safety standards, restocking items, cleaning
- Able to receive orders and keep track of inventory
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs frequently and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand/walk a minimum of 10 hours or as needed
- Must be able to exert well-paced and frequent mobility for periods of up to 10 hours or as needed
- Will frequently reach, feel, bend, stoop, carry, finely manipulate and key in data
- Work in both warm and cool environments
- High levels of noise from music, customer and employee traffic
- Must be able to tolerate potential allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, soy, seafood and shellfish
- Culinary degree is preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience managing a large staff
- Strong and proven leadership skills
- Maintain an attention to detail while working in a high-volume environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to work quickly while maintaining safety standards and procedures
- Ability to properly handle a knife, confidently
- Active social media presence
- Ability to work early morning hours, late night hours and weekends
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.