ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through courageous comedy, The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. With sold-out shows playing on stages in Chicago and Toronto, Second City’s Touring and Theatrical companies entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center is the largest school of improvisation-based arts on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles that serve 11,000 students annually. Second City Works, the B2B side of Second City, has brought award-winning improvisation and audience-driven techniques to over 600 Fortune 1000 companies, challenging businesses seeking a more collaborative culture to innovate through development programs, original digital and video content, campaign consultation, private events, and more.
The Social Media Specialist will uphold and grow the social media presence for The Second City, elevating the voice and tone of the company across all online platforms. The SMS will work extensively on building social media profiles across all platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and others, ensuring the paid and organic strategy is properly executed and managing day-to-day tasks.
Responsibilities on these platforms include working with Marketing team, as well as Creative and Delivery, on content sourcing and creation, maintaining editorial calendars, creating and implementing social media campaigns, and other duties as assigned. Candidate should be a creative, ambitious, multi-tasker with a passion for comedy and a deep understanding of The Second City’s history, community, and culture. The right candidate will demonstrate the ability to work in both a team setting and as a highly motivated individual, have strong prioritization skills and impeccable attention to detail. This position will help share the story of our organization, celebrate our 60 plus years of history & achievements of our alumni, and market our current shows and initiatives.
The position reports to the VP of Marketing & Sales Operations.
Schedule: This is a full-time position. Note that this role requires flexible work hours and may include work outside of normal office hours during the business week and on weekends.
- Work in collaboration with the Second City marketing team and an external marketing agency to develop and execute an annual social media strategy to engage with followers and grow our digital community
- Review metrics to determine the success and areas of improvement of social channels and campaigns
- Lead content creation to regularly post/curate relevant content
- Stay up-to-date with current trends and trending content
- Suggest and implement new ideas and features on social media
- Maintain The Second City’s voice and tone in all content
- Monitor how the brand is being mentioned on social media
- Engage with followers by responding to public and private messages
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with all major social media platforms
- Excellent writing skills: a master of grammar and word wizard
- Ability to internalize and masterfully replicate the voice/tone of The Second City
- Strong project management skills with an ability to multitask and manage competing priorities
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Above average knowledge of The Second City’s history, community, and culture
- Rabid appetite for pop culture, especially comedy
- Ability to work quickly with evening and weekend availability
- Collaborative work ethic and able to communicate well department leaders
- Creative and strategic thinker; Ability to contribute ideas to the team
- Superior organization skills
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced working environment
- Must be adaptable to changing work situations and remain proactive
- Experience with design is a plus
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.