The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
Responsible for nightly theater operations, hiring/scheduling staff, beverage purchasing and inventory, as well as, ensuring proper and legal alcoholic beverage service and safety/health standards. The ideal candidate for this position is available in the evenings and should be flexible to adjust as needed. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
- Oversee bar and service operations for all theaters daily
- Create effective bartender schedule based on show schedule
- Interviewing, hiring, performance reviews for bar staff
- Ensure bar space follows all health and safety guidelines
- Bar inventory management, ordering/receiving, and maintaining vendor relationships
- Manage COGS, P&L, and waste reports of bar products
- Liaise with Audience Services Department and Kitchen daily
- Managing staff while leading by example and follow through with enforcing company policies
- Coordinating maintenance requests, as needed
- Hospitality degree is preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing a large staff
- ServSafe Managers and Allergens Certification
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to cleanliness and efficiency
- Knowledge of all ILCC regulations and requirements
- Ability to lift bend and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Maintain attention to detail while working in a high-volume environment.
Every day is a high volume day with peaks and valleys as theatergoers arrive and order within a small window. Catered events happen regularly in the theaters. These events often happen at the same time as regular service. Only the candidates with love of this rush should apply.
- Full dental, vision and health benefits
- 401k eligible
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.