ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Security Guard will maintain the safety and security of all students, teachers, staff, artists, and patrons. S/he will create and maintain a positive and uplifting experience for diverse groups of individuals and ensure that customers are treated with the highest level of respect and customer service.
Schedule : This is a part-time, seasonal position directed towards Summer Camps held at The Second City June through September. Beginning of June – end of August. Mon -Fri 8:00AM to 4:00 PM.
- Ensure guest safety through proactive personal interaction and removing hazards in the area of responsibility
- Prevent, de-escalate and resolve altercations between guests. Assist other employees in doing the same
- The safe and professional restraint and/or removal of individuals posing a risk to employees or other customers
- Lead guests and other employees in emergency evacuation procedures and provide assistance
- Secure the facility; includes checking for unauthorized personnel, setting alarms and locking doors
- Enforce House policy regarding photos/videos/recording devices
- Safeguard against theft and property damage
- Communicate clearly using radios, hand signals and flashlights. Remain in constant contact throughout the shift.
- Keep interior and exterior of the venue clear and safe, cleaning spills and removing food, trash or other obstacles, before, during and after the shift
- Answer customer questions and be able to give clear directions
- Report safety concerns, security breaches and unusual circumstances both verbally and in writing
- Fully embrace security/safety training programs to enhance their ability to advance in their career
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- 3 years work experience interacting with people, children and parents in a positive environment
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Maintain proficiency in the use of all assigned protective equipment and restraint devices
- Must show tolerance for all people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity
- Must be able to stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 40 pounds
- Run as needed
- Constant use of both hands and arms in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while using phone, notepad, writing reports, and other administrative tasks
- Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat;
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to read and understand all operating procedures and instructions
- Must be able to obtain a valid Guard License and Armed Guard License as required in the state for which you are applying
- As a condition of employment, employee must successfully complete a background investigation and a post-offer/pre-employment drug/alcohol test
- As a condition of continued employment, employee must maintain current active status of all required certifications
- Remain flexible to ever-changing environments; adapt well to different situations
- Intermediate computer skills to utilize innovative, wireless technology at client specific sites
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality standard
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.