ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
The Second City is the premier brand in improve-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centers in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. We have full time touring ensembles, the Harold Ramis Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
The Security Guard will maintain the safety and security of all staff, artists, and patrons. S/he will create and maintain a positive and uplifting experience for diverse groups of individuals and ensure that customers are treated with the highest level of respect and customer service
Schedule: This is a full-time (40 hr / week) position, salaried with benefits. The ideal candidate for this position will be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Ensure guest safety through proactive personal interaction and removing hazards in the area of responsibility
- Prevent, de-escalate and resolve altercations between guests. Assist other employees in doing the same
- The safe and professional restraint and/or removal of individuals posing a risk to employees or other customers
- Lead guests and other employees in emergency evacuation procedures and provide assistance
- Secure the facility; includes checking for unauthorized personnel, setting alarms and locking doors
- Enforce House policy regarding photos/videos/recording devices
- Safeguard against theft and property damage
- Communicate clearly using radios, hand signals and flashlights. Remain in constant contact throughout the shift.
- Keep interior and exterior of the venue clear and safe, cleaning spills and removing food, trash or other obstacles, before, during and after the shift
- Attend pre-shift meetings
- Assist in seating customers
- Answer customer questions and be able to give clear directions
- Report safety concerns, security breaches and unusual circumstances both verbally and in writing
- Fully embrace security/safety training programs to enhance their ability to advance in their career
- Ability to work late hours
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- 3 years work experience interacting with people in a positive environment
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Maintain proficiency in the use of all assigned protective equipment and restraint devices
- Must show tolerance for all people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity
- Must be able to stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 40 pounds
- Run as needed
- Constant use of both hands and arms in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while using phone, notepad, writing reports, and other administrative tasks
- Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat;
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be able to read and understand all operating procedures and instructions
- Must be able to obtain a valid Guard License and Armed Guard License as required in the state for which you are applying
- As a condition of employment, employee must successfully complete a background investigation and a post-offer/pre-employment drug/alcohol test
- As a condition of continued employment, employee must always maintain current active status of all required certifications
- Remain flexible to ever-changing environments; adapt well to different situations
- Intermediate computer skills to utilize innovative, wireless technology at client specific sites
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality standard
- MOAB certification (management of aggressive behavior) and PERC cardholders preferred
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
Interested candidates can email their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Security Guard”.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.