Producer - Stages
ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through courageous comedy, The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. With sold-out shows playing on stages in Chicago, Toronto, and soon New York, Second City’s Touring and Theatrical companies entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center is the largest school of improvisation-based arts on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and soon New York. Second City Works, the B2B side of Second City, has brought award-winning improvisation and audience-driven techniques to over 600 Fortune 1000 companies, challenging businesses seeking a more collaborative culture to innovate through development programs, original digital and video content, campaign consultation, private events, and more.
As a Producer, you will be responsible for the delivery of live theatrical performances on our Mainstage to our various audiences. On-time and on-budget production is key to success. Organization and the ability to follow and create processes to deliver quality results is also a top priority. A successful Producer not only understands all aspects of a show’s life cycle but has the ability to quickly pivot when necessary.
The Producer works with the Creative and Technical teams, including Stage Managers, Directors, Creative Directors, Tech Directors, and various vendors.
Success is measured by the average profit margin per production.
The Producer works full-time, 40 hours per week. Some shifts are nights and weekends.
Reports to the Vice President of Production.
- Identify and properly cast specific resources as needed and understand the need for diversification and audience mirroring for each individual show.
- Ensure seamless execution and high quality delivery of shows
- Maintain and oversee production budgets at a 65 - 70% gross margin on individual budgets
- Update and maintain master Production Calendar and communicate adjustments, changes and additional integration across departments.
- Navigate contract negotiations with cast members, vendors and contractors.
- Create weekly reports for actor’s unions, track deductions, and administer weekly payroll, reimbursements and invoicing through accounts payable.
- Maintain timeline and budget in accordance with agreed upon gross profit margin, and maintain accurate records systems throughout production life-cycle
- Run agendas and next steps on internal meetings to move conversations and deliverables along
- Manage multiple production timelines and individual processes simultaneously
- BA in theater, production, business, marketing or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
- Evidence of successfully partnering with internal as well as external contacts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with strong consulting skills
- Ability to present and explain project specific information to diverse types of audiences
- A willingness to learn and work in a team environment with extensive contact with talent
- Ability to identify innovative ways to implement projects within established timeframes
- Demonstrated confidence and awareness to identify blockers and opportunities in advance
- MS Office and G Suite Proficiency
Improvisation or comedy experience is a plus.
*The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity, and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
*All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
*The Second City follows CDC guidelines and recommendations regarding safety measures to navigate the Covid-19 pandemic. To work at The Second City you must show proof of being fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2. Applicants with medical or religious exemptions will be considered.
SALARY - $80,000
START DATE – 08/01/2023