About The Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
About the role:
The payroll specialist leads the payroll process for our full-time and part-time employees in Canada while working under the supervision of the Payroll Manager. You will review procedures and workflows to recommend changes and improvements.
This is a full-time position with occasional working holidays in exchange of day off during the week.
Job Duties and responsibilities
- Processes payroll for 176 active Canadian employees on a weekly basis
- Attends to any employee or manager issues relating to payroll on a timely basis
- Provides support and instruction for managers and employees to ensure proper use of the HR/Payroll system
- Works closely with Human Resources department to ensure data integrity
- Creates and records all payroll-related journal entries into the general ledger
- Reconciles the payroll cash bank account for all US and Canadian entities and investigates any discrepancies
- Reconciles accrued wages monthly to ensure payroll journal entries are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Running useful and relevant reports from the HR/payroll system
- With consultation of payroll manager, creates or updates payroll policies that align with company goals
- Previews, audits and issues T4 and T4A tax forms annually to Canadian employees and contractors
- Performs other accounting, payroll or administrative tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in business with a concentration in accounting or finance is required
- 1+ year of accounting/payroll experience which can be gained from an internship or previous employment
- Must possess basic math skills, the ability to analyze figures, knowledge of accounting principles, basic payroll policies and excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be able to multitask, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
- Knowledge of computers and familiarity with accounting/payroll software is also essential.
- Proficiency in Excel, pivot tables and VLOOKUP are also required.
- Experience with Ceridian Dayforce is preferred
- Experience with Canadian payroll is preferred
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.