About The Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center, which includes the The Second City Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
About the role:
The payroll specialist is involved in the payroll process for our full-time and part-time employees, in the United States and Canada, while working under the supervision of the Payroll Manager. We have both union and non-union employees. You will review procedures and workflows to recommend changes and improvements.
This is a full-time position with occasional working holidays in exchange for a day off during the week.
Job Duties and responsibilities
- Process payroll for active employees on a weekly basis
- Attend to any employee or manager issue relating to payroll on a timely basis
- Provides support and instruction for managers and employees to ensure proper use of the HR/Payroll system
- Work closely with Human Resources department to ensure data integrity
- Assist in reconciling the payroll cash bank account for US and Canadian entities
- Reconcile accrued wages monthly to ensure payroll journal entries are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Produce useful and relevant reports from the HR/payroll system
- With consultation of payroll manager, create or update payroll policies that align with company goals
- Preview, audit and fix issues with W2, T4 and T4A tax forms annually to employees and contractors
- Perform other accounting, payroll or administrative tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in business with a concentration in accounting or finance is required
- 1+ year of accounting/payroll experience which can be gained from an internship or previous employment
- Must possess basic math skills, the ability to analyze figures, knowledge of accounting principles, basic payroll policies and excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be able to multitask, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
- Knowledge of computers and familiarity with accounting/payroll software is also essential.
- Proficiency in Excel, pivot tables and VLOOKUP are also required.
- Experience with Ceridian Dayforce is preferred
- Experience with Canadian payroll is preferred
Experience with union payroll matters is preferred
The Second City is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We strive to attract diverse talent of all genders, sexual orientation, age brackets, race, ethnicity, language, abilities, marital status, income, and education.