The Touring Company Music Director is responsible for the musical vision and execution of all Touring Company shows created and run during their contract. This includes all “Home Shows” at the Second City Toronto location as well as Touring when necessary.
The successful candidate is able to:
- Underscore improvisation proficiently in various styles
- Efficiently create and execute Qlab sound effects and cues.
- Write original scores for comedic songs in multiple genres
- Develop the overall sound design of a Touring Company revue
- Lead the ensemble musically including vocal direction
- Collaborate with the director to create a cohesive theatrical experience
Accountabilities and Responsibilities Include (but not limited to)
- Creative collaboration with the Director, Stage Manager & Ensemble
- Compiling and Designing sound effects, music samples and needle drops & implementing cues into a running order, including pre-show & intermission mixes/playlists
- Overall sound design for the shows
- Underscoring & running sound cues for performances
- Attend rehearsals with the ensembles, including improvising & underscoring improv
- Facilitating vocal warm-ups at rehearsal and performance calls
- Teaching melody lines and harmonies to the ensemble
- Diplomatically and respectfully noting actors on music performance and communicating progress to the Director
- Collaborating with the ensemble to create original songs and song writing
- Attend and participate in meetings as-needed.
- Available to travel as needed.
- Basic understanding of music cuing & performance software, including QLab and Logic
- Familiarity with theater sound systems
- Basic understanding of musical & comedic improvisation, specifically short-form games and long-form structures
- Practice in creating digital synth sounds & beats and editing sound cues & song files
- Proficiency in piano, with attention to playing various styles, genres, emotions etc.
- Performance of guitar, percussion, voice or other instruments is a plus
- Composing interstitial/transitional music & creating new sound effects
- Adapting archive songs to meet needs of ensemble/show
- Transposing songs to fit the vocal range of the ensemble
- Creating charts for archiving songs
- Replicating sound cues from shows that have not been previously archived
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years musical improv experience. They should have knowledge of Second City’s process and an understanding of the company as a whole. Excellent communication and leadership skills are required for this position.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants who bring with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, race and points of view. We strongly encourage submissions from artists of equity-seeking communities; these may include gender, age, race, sexuality, disability, neuro-diverse, and the intersections thereof.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 19 years of age or older.