About The Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
About the role
The Second City is currently seeking a dynamic individual to join our legendary theater production team who will be responsible for extending the brand’s reach and increasing ticket sales throughout the greater Chicagoland area. The Director of Market Development will drive all marketing and promotional efforts (both paid and organic) for our iconic resident stages and will work closely with the VP of Production to ensure overall alignment on strategic planning and tactical execution.
The Director of Market Development is also responsible for identifying and proposing opportunities for audience development, creating and implementing engaging execution plans aimed at growing and retaining our audience base with an emphasis on diversification.
This is not the typical “behind a desk” marketing gig. We expect the Director of Market Development to be part of the Chicago community, identifying opportunities for partnerships and re/introducing the brand to underdeveloped markets.
The selected candidate will possess successful, results-driven marketing experience, strong leadership and communication skills, an ability to work independently, and is highly organized and energetic. It goes without saying, but a “Yes And” attitude and ensemble-orientation is an absolute must.
This is a full time, exempt position reporting directly to the Vice President of Production.
- Develop and execute audience growth strategy to increase reach, engagement and retention based on data-informed insights
- Create go-to-market program scorecards to ensure marketing goals are being achieved
- Develop and sustain community relationships with key influencers, organizations and leaders, expanding the brand’s reach while creating meaningful and purposeful connections
- Work in conjunction with the ticket inventory manager, continuously assessing monthly ticket sales and optimizing marketing efforts to drive additional sales
- Manage all advertising campaigns including media placement (through 3rd party vendor), budget and internal creative process
- Manage all incoming publicity and/or partnership inquiries, atop developing new partnership opportunities throughout the Chicagoland area
- Plan, communicate and coordinate logistics for all promotional events (industry nights, community events, etc.)
- Oversee website updates, ensuring show pages are built and published correctly and on-time
- Annual budget development and oversight, properly managing scope creep on a project by project basis
- Oversee and manage marketing coordinator with the opportunity to expand the team, upon proven results
Qualifications and background
- Degree in Marketing, Communications, Entrepreneurship, or related fields
- Minimum 7 years professional experience in Sales, Marketing, Communications, or related fields
- Proven ability to drive results
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to adapt easily to changing needs and to keep focused in a fast-paced environment
- Well-versed in Google Suite, Microsoft Office, WordPress, and Social Media tools
- Knowledge of other software systems (such as CRM, Project Management, etc.) a plus
- Experience in theater or live entertainment marketing a plus
- Available to work nights and weekends, as required
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.