About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improve-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centers in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. We have full time touring ensembles, the Harold Ramis Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
This position is for professional cooks looking to gain knowledge and experience in a fast-paced, creative atmosphere. We are looking for hard-working individuals who are enthusiastic to learn. A great attitude and hard work ethic goes a long way.
- General Knife skills
- Requires food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Requires a minimum of 1 year of closely related cooking experience, work experience in high volume or fast casual dining restaurant environment preferred
- Requires experience in a high end culinary position, i.e. Sous Chef or experience as a line cook with the ability to pass training as a sauté cook
- Requires food knowledge pertaining to Soups, Sauté, Broiler, Fry, and Pantry
- Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents, as well as converse comfortably with individuals
- Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Requires the ability to bend, twist, and stand to perform normal job functions
- Frequently immerses hands in water and water diluted with chemical solutions
- Frequently works with sharp knives, utensils, and hot plates
- Frequently works in hot environment
- Comfortable working with a team in a fast-paced kitchen environment (theaters orders are placed at once – individual must enjoy the “rush” of a fast-paced kitchen)
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.