The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centres in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. They have full time touring ensembles, the Second City Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
Position Overview: The Lead Musical Director works with the Technical and Production Staff to manage the development pipeline of Musical Directors at Second City, and to help lead continual innovation of offerings and services across all departments.
- Supervise the company’s Musical Director talent, providing for their training, providing for their technical needs, and guiding their artistic development.
- Managing, developing, and maintaining resources and best practices for MDs.
- Assessing and communicating MD talent’s qualifications to Production Staff.
- Working to develop and maintain an equitable MD development strategy and diverse talent pool.
- Real-time technical support and troubleshooting of Musical Director talent, students, and teachers.
- Assure that the musical and vocal sound of the company’s virtual programming is to a high and professional standard.
- Maintain a cutting-edge knowledge of all facets of the work through research and regular practice.
- Work with directors and production staff to develop and innovate products and offerings across all departments of Second City.
- Provide knowledge and support to Sales and Production Staff, and assist in client support and interaction when required.
- Assist in Marketing Events
- Deep working knowledge of QLab, Logic Pro, and industry-standard audio hardware and software - including interfaces, mixers, microphones, and instruments.
- Professional level musical performance, improvisation and teaching skills, with an emphasis on performing at the piano.
- Professional level songwriting experience.
- Professional level sound-design skills and experience.
- Professional level audio production skills and experience.
- Deep working knowledge of Zoom and other virtual meeting platforms.