The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Customer Service Representative is a part-time, non-exempt position working with the General Manager to help achieve sales goals for the company. Representative work as part of a team to create positive and long lasting customer service relationships and opportunities. Representatives will be the first point of contact for all customer concerns and questions and also proactively reach out to new potential customers to look for new opportunities.
- Sell, refund, and exchange tickets over the phone and in person, and answer any questions about show programming
- Register students (and employees or volunteers) over the phone, in person, and assist online customers, and answer questions over the phone regarding TC curriculum
- Selling gift cards in person (over the phone can mostly be handled via website)
- Cold-calling prospective customers & re-connecting with past customers for re-sell opportunities.
- Covering Reception duties and answering questions over the phone and in person
- Collection of accurate data with the intention of feeding leads into the pipeline
- Assist Group Sales by booking groups of 11 or more
- Perform first round of vetting for Second City Works clients
- Responsible for opening the building.
- Respond to customer service e-mails and live chat, including all forms of inquiry via website
- Manage and book ticketing lists provided by managers.
- Sell merchandise
- Box office administrative assistance including internal ticket requests, night manager sheets, etc.
- Qualifying Orders
- Report any customer service issues and/or student HR/harassment claims to appropriate management
Desired Skills & Requirements
- Able to work effectively and adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- Informative, patient, and eager sense of initiative to solve problems.
- Efficiency in finishing projects.
- Demonstrated history of dependability and punctuality.
- Strong communication skills – written and verbally
- Be comfortable with cold-calling and working in a sales-quota environment
- Have basic CRM knowledge, SalesForce preferred
- Willing to learn The Second City’s history to be able to speak to current and potential students.
- Familiar with Google office suite, Microsoft Office suite, and comfortable with all basic computer functions, Salesforce experience a plus.
- Enthusiastic about improv, sketch comedy, and the Hollywood theatre scene.
- Tuesday 10-6:30pm, Thursday 10-6:30pm & Saturday 9am-5:30pm
Compensation & Benefits
- Hourly rate commensurate with experience
- Part time sick leave eligible
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.