About The Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
About the role:
As a Greeter, you will be the first point of contact for our patrons and guests as they enter The Second City building. You must be proactive, alert and courteous. We are looking to fill the following shifts immediately:
- Fridays from 6:00pm-12:00am
- Saturdays from 6:15pm-2:00am
- Sundays from 5:30pm-9:30pm
Hourly rate for this position is $13.50
What you’ll be doing
- Greeting customers warmly as they enter the building. Ensuring that they are in the correct part of the building and sending them to the correct show.
- Helping customers with accessibility needs reach their destination with understanding and tact.
- Setting the room, scanning tickets, and turning over the theater for Studio Theater shows. Cleaning the theaters in between shows and at the end of the night.
- Having a general knowledge of the workings of Second City (for professional stages, Studio Theater stages, and beyond) and the events happening each night to best serve and direct people throughout the building.
- Being the first point of contact for customers and making them feel welcome.
- Dealing with large crowds quickly and efficiently.
What you need to have:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Comfortable working late shifts
- You love interacting with people, you will be around them a lot to get this job done!
- Physical Demands: This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve moving or lifting items no more than 20 pounds.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.