About The Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The General Manager for the Toronto Training Centre is the main lead on items related to Programming, Student Services, Facilities & Safety.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Vice President of the Training Centre.
Location Management Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the Student & Faculty Liaison, including any necessary payroll or new hire approvals
- Ensure compliance with student waivers for legal reasons
- Preparation and oversight of the annual budget in coordination with the VP of Training Centres with input from Associate Artistic Director and Artistic Director
- Serve as first point of contact in the event of any emergency or medical situations in the Training Centre
- Supervise the purchasing & installation of new interior projects (with any necessary budget approvals)
- Assist Student and Faculty Liaison in the payment plans & financial needs of all students
- In coordination with the Associate Artistic Director, run quarterly Safety meetings for faculty & staff, including
- First Aid certification
- Evacuation training
- Harassment training
- Implement strategies to evaluate and monitor progress / success of part-time administrative staff
- Contracts and Invoices for any special projects
Programming Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create term Schedules, Manage wait list & wish list, and cancel or add classes as-needed to maximize space utilization and revenue
- Coordinate with marketing to promote under-performing & specialty classes
- Intensive organization, room and teacher assignments, adding sections, splitting classes
- Contact intensive students with info prior to the start of their class
- Student communication regarding room & teacher assignments or changes
- Source off-site or alternative spaces as necessary
- Coordinate with Artistic Director & Associate Artistic Director in assigning teachers to classes
- Handle special cases with faculty regarding class make-ups and rescheduling (over-enrolling, etc)
- Scheduling of new course programming with teachers and Associate Artistic Director
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.