About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Front of House Manager is responsible for the daily operations. This position works with the other managers to oversee Hosts, Servers and Bartenders. The position requires a strong knowledge of customer service, especially as it pertains to wait staff. Prior experience is a must. The Front of House Manager will assist the GM with running FOH operations including, but not limited to: staff scheduling, VIP/group management, executing refunds, customer negotiations and creating/implementing policy for FOH procedures (with a goal of gaining efficiencies).
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the GM. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401K with employer match, PTO.
- Performs nightly checkouts, monthly inventories, seats the room and is available on site during events and performances
- Keeps track of added special events
- Maximize operational efficiency of the restaurant
- Maintain compliance with all local codes and laws applicable to public places of amusement
- Resolves conflicts among the staff and responds to customer care issues
- Helps to maintain the upkeep of the restaurant, bar and kitchen
- Remains abreast of current trends in the F & B / Hospitality industry
- Helps to maintain safety protocols, training programs and cost controls
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned
- 3+ years of Restaurant / Bar Management experience with an emphasis on high volume service
- Live theater background a plus
- Strong organization, oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer aptitude, which includes expertise in restaurant POS systems, Microsoft Excel and Word, Google Docs as well as experience in payroll
- Proven customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Keep in ordinance with all Emergency Egress requirements and fire safety
- Able to work nights and weekends
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 25 pounds
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.