About the team
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
Second City Works is the professional services side of The Second City, the world’s leading comedy theatre and school of improvisation. We serve more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment. When businesses engage Second City Works they develop unique insights and skills to better collaborate and create with their colleagues and customers. Working with leading international clients across various industries, including tech, CPG, financial services and healthcare, over 4 million employees view our video content globally, and we maintain a Net Promoter Score of 82. We are adding to our business development team to expand our impact and match market demand for our solutions.
About the role
The Second City has been an iconic institution since 1959. Our award winning shows, training center, together with Second City Works, enable us to share our talent and techniques with locals, visitors and business partners alike. To reflect that, we will be adding someone to our team to expand our network and enhance our position as a strategic partner to companies in America. Our theaters offer space for 300 guests and with our new events space, we can accommodate workshops, corporate meetings, product launches and a wide range of events Further, we have a local bench of the nation’s best creative and production talent to enhance any engagement. Combining the features of our facility with the capabilities of our talent network opens up a limitless range of opportunities for The Second City to be a go-to space in the meetings and events industry.
Business Development Directors for Second City Works enable companies to better engage customers and employees by connecting the expertise and talent of The Second City to the expertise and talent of each business. Whether in conjunction with our space or at a client’s location, this role will be part of the team bringing Second City Works’ solutions to companies across America
Those who match well to this role excel at discovering opportunities, articulating abstract ideas, recognizing patterns, and collaborating internally as well as they do with clients. Like The Second City itself, our success with Second City Works is built on exploration, collaboration and saying “Yes, And” to our partners. The opportunity for our Business Development Directors is to make companies more productive by leveraging the differentiating tenets, techniques and talent of The Second City.
- Identify, consult with and close Fortune 1000 clients, discovering opportunities where Second City Works could be a strategic long-term partner
- Educate prospects on SCW: who we are, our capabilities, and how we are uniquely equipped to improve engagement and connection with any business’s employees or customers
- Manage all phases of the sales life-cycle across a variety of sales scenarios (new prospects, re-activations, growth within existing accounts)
- Partner with Client Services and Creative Talent to customize client programs and solutions, ensuring that we deliver on our promises
- 7+ years of consistent sales success, with majority of annual quota ($1M+) coming from new business
- Experience selling products or services to Fortune 1000 leaders, navigating multiple stakeholders across an organization
- Successful experience selling repeat or subscription-based solutions with expansion opportunities
- Successful experience selling in Marketing and Events; whether it be launching a new product, strategy development, sales training or leadership meetings.
- Evidence of closing key accounts where others have missed, via alternative approaches or solutions
- Proven reliability to self-manage schedule, targets and timelines
- Communication skills that make other people envious; collaboration skills that make teammates thankful
- Demonstrated sales success due to inquisitiveness, resilience and/or likeability. Preferably all 3.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.