ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
- Oversee the menu and operations for three theaters
- Assist is daily banquet events
- Responsible for delivering the highest quality food
- Run an efficient kitchen with quick food delivery, without compromising quality
- Responsible for inventory & ordering of products
- Writing dish and food runner schedule
- Expedite service from the inside on the line and outside
- Control food waste
- Assist in coding and inputting invoices
- Interviewing, dish, food runner, line cooks
- Managing staff, leading by example and follow through with enforcing company policies
- Coordinating maintenance request as needed
- Recording temp logs for UP coolers with HACCP standards
- Culinary degree is preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing a large staff
- Strong communication skills both to direct reports as well as to senior management
- Ability to lead by example
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to cleanliness and efficiency
- Ability to multitask
- Has strong leadership, coaching and training skills food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Ability to lift bend and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Maintain an attention to detail while working in a high-volume environment.
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Every day is a high volume day with peaks and valleys as theater goers arrive and order within a small window. Catered events happen regularly in our space. These events often happen at the same time as regular service. Only the candidates with love of this rush should apply.
Overseeing the up kitchen and all banquet events, ordering, inventory, and scheduling
Schedule: This is a full-time (40 hr / week) position, salaried with benefits. The ideal candidate for this position is available for all banquet events and should be flexible to adjust as needed.
- Pay: Based on experience
- Dental, vision and health benefits
- Cell phone allowance
- 401k eligible
- Eligible for performance bonus and commissions if division and company goals are met
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.