The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centers in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. We have full time touring ensembles, the Harold Ramis Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
The Catering & Events Coordinator manages the planning and logistics for all special events including: catering partner management, menu preparation, event timeline, venue set-up, decor requirements among other administrative duties. While most special events take place at The Second City, off-premise event coordination is sometimes required.
The Catering & Events Coordinator must also provide exceptional customer service to clients in conjunction with the Group Sales department.
Candidates must have a flexible schedule as nights and weekend work is a requirement.
- Organize event logistics for group bookings, private performances, workshops, rentals, and pre-show receptions across multiple venues
- Provide menu recommendations, catering quotes and finalize billing and payment for internal and external clients
- Conduct client walk-throughs with Group Sales Manager
- Work closely with Group Sales to assist in creating packages for external clients
- Answer client inquiries regarding technical specifications for all event spaces and schedule stage managers when necessary
- Maintain and update all upcoming event information, hospitality requests, and space inquiries in Smartsheet (electronic event management system)
- Prepare and distribute group function sheets and event details to communicate day-of logistics to relevant departments
- Serve as first point of contact for clients and ensure smooth transition to operations team
- Create detailed post-event reports
- Keep abreast of current catering and event trends
- Responses to all applicable customer inquiries within 24 hours
- Monitor internal shared calendars of theatre and conference rooms and distribute weekly event calendars to the building
- Main point of contact with partner restaurants and preferred caterers
- Reconcile catering events invoices and approve for payment
- Editorial/proof-reading skills
- Working knowledge of standard office equipment word/excel
- Willingness to work early mornings, nights, and weekends for events
- 2+ years experience in events and/or other field with customer service focus
- Exceptional multitasking and organizational skills
- Great analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Exceptional customer service, interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Basic knowledge of stage lighting and sound boards encouraged but not required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary range: $40,000 – $45,000
Health and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick days.