ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
The Second City is the premier brand in improve-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centers in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. We have full time touring ensembles, the Harold Ramis Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
The Second City and the Up Comedy Club seeks a customer service oriented, part-time Box Office Manager to assist nightly box office and will call operations for our three professional Chicago theatres and 4 Training Center theatres. The part-time manager will supervise a large staff of box office associates alongside full-time Box Office Managers. Night and weekend hours are required.
- Supervise will calls and wait list operations
- Supervise and train part time ticket associates on ticketing systems and nightly operations
- Coordinate with house managers on seating arrangements and ADA needs
- Book and track complimentary tickets for staff and talent
- Approve use of holds, refunds, and transfer requests
- Book tickets for concierges and special VIP guests
- Monitor and respond to e-mail inquiries
- Build and edit shows in the Laughstub system
- Assist guests with ADA accessibility needs
- Work with I.T. to resolve any technical and hardware problems
- Run daily reports during daytime coverage
- Delegate tasks to make sure daily goals are completed on time
- Find a speedy resolution with tricky orders, situations, or upset customers
- Quality control: make sure we give the best customer service
- Perform nightly checkouts, deposits, and shut down
DESIRED SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Previous Box Office Management or Supervisory Experience required
- Experience with ticketing software strongly preferred
- Experience supervising staff in customer service situations strongly preferred
- Cash handling and experience with cash/credit card deposits strongly preferred
- Nighttime, weekend and holiday availability required
SALARY AND HOURS
- Approximately 15-20 hours per week, with additional hours as approved by supervisor
- Hourly rate commensurate with experience
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
Interested candidates can email their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “PT Box Office Manager”.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.