About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
Schedule: This is a full-time (40 hr / week) salaried position with benefits. The ideal candidate for this position is available for all banquet events and should be flexible to adjust as needed.
- Oversee operations for three theaters
- Assist in daily banquet events, as needed
- Responsible for receiving deliveries
- Run an efficient kitchen with quick food delivery, without compromising quality
- Responsible for assisting with inventory & ordering of products
- Expedite service from the inside the line and outside
- Control food waste
- Supervising staff while leading by example and follow through with enforcing company policies
- Coordinating maintenance requests, as needed
- Recording temp logs for UP coolers with HACCP standards
- Culinary degree is preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing a large staff
- Strong communication skills both to direct reports as well as to senior management
- Ability to lead by example
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to cleanliness and efficiency
- Ability to multitask
- Has strong leadership, coaching and training skills
- Food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Ability to lift bend and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Maintain attention to detail while working in a high-volume environment.
- Detail-oriented and organized
Every day is a high volume day with peaks and valleys as theatergoers arrive and order within a small window. Catered events happen regularly in the theaters. These events often happen at the same time as regular service. Only the candidates with love of this rush should apply.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.