This is a full-time position (40 hours a week) reporting to the Vice President of the Second City Training Centres. Additional benefits include health coverage and RRSP eligibility. Some nights and weekends required.
- Work with Training Centre leadership to outline and execute a vision for all programming
- Bring new ideas for programs and classes, interesting new faculty members, and connections with external partners
- Attend auditions for various training Centre programs
- Mentor faculty – including processing evaluations, advising, training
- Drive new ideas around curation on the John Candy Box Theater (our student space).
- Create new and interesting ways for students to showcase their talents
- Work with outside groups to visit and play in our space
- Pitch and produce or direct shows of your own!
- Serve as Head of the Improv Program, Stand Up Program, and Kids Program
- Map out best schedules for new and returning students
- Assign faculty (and recruit new teachers as needed)
- Update curriculum every 3 years
- Collect, read, track and utilize all feedback from teachers on a per-term basis
- Advise students on their path and options in the Training Centre
- Attend all resident company performances at least once per run
- Track and develop talent for possible advancement in the greater company
- Be an advocate for artistic growth and integrity
- Positively represent Second City and the Training Centre to the public and community
- Attend all full faculty meetings
- Schedule and lead Program-specific faculty meetings as needed
- Maintain scheduled office hours, which can flex based on schedule (15 per week minimum in office)
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities) –
- 5+ years of artistic work in sketch and improvisation
- Strong knowledge of Second City culture, process and work
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to lead others and manage faculty
- Proven facility in working with talent
- Strong supporter of artists and students
- Facility for problem solving
Term of Agreement
The position is a one year term, renewable upon successful review and evaluation by the Vice President of the Training Centres.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.