The Artistic Director is the creative lead for the Training Centre at The Second City, Toronto. This is a full-time management position responsible for developing and implementing programming to grow The Second City Training Centre in Toronto.
The successful candidate will work in three main areas:
- Be an innovator for growth and change in our organization. This includes creation of new ideas, recruitment of new people, and seeking out new partners.
- Focus on delivering a high-quality experience to our students. This includes the modernization of curriculum, student performance season planning and the management of our faculty.
- Keep a connection to the artistic vision of the company, and serve as an advocate for our students to work in our theatres and film projects.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities Include (but not limited to)
- Identify growth areas for the Training Centre, and align the resources (faculty, technology, etc) needed to drive new enrollments or partnerships
- Present growth opportunities bi-weekly to leadership. Identify key tactics (we call these “rocks”) to reach goals and track accordingly on a weekly basis to communicate up to the executive team and ownership
- Help to find grants and organization/community partners to develop new opportunities
- Work with Executive Producer, VP of Customer Success, VP of Production, Chicago Artistic Director, the Virtual Training Centre Artistic Director, VP of Sales and the VP of Marketing, to set specific goals for each calendar year
- Attend Orientation and lead Welcome Sessions
- Attend and offer feedback on Training Centre related performances, and work with Program Leads and/or Associate Artistic Directors to assure quality and mission
- Attend and/or run auditions related to Training Centre programs
- Maintain The Second City’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to create and support a stronger, more diverse Training Centre community
- Be an adviser (in conjunction with Managing AD and HR when necessary) on issues involving faculty and/or students - including but not limited to issues of harassment, dissatisfaction, tension/frustration, content appropriateness, teaching/learning style, etc.
- Consult and Coordinate with the leadership for special projects and programs including the Second City Film School and DePaul University to help monitor quality, curriculum, faculty, students, admissions, and overall branding/reputation
- Attend and participate in meetings as-needed, such as: Training Centre staff meetings, Artistic Directors’ meetings, program-specific meetings, etc.
- Work with the Student Success team, VP of Sales and VP of Marketing to design and implement programming to support and grow a dynamic, healthy, engaged Training Centre community
Management of Faculty
- Work with Managing AD to recruit, hire, train, and mentor Training Centre faculty
- Design and run All-Faculty meetings and Development Sessions
- Oversee the evaluation of training centre program direct reports and faculty
- Participate in appropriate faculty reviews
- Create development plans for faculty
- Work with Managing Artistic Director and Training Centre Production Manager to develop annual budget proposals for TC creative/artistic needs and goals
- Collaborate with Training Centre Production Manager on the assignment of classes and substitute teacher coverage
The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree, or equivalent experience, in theatre with an intensive focus on improvisation. Ideal candidates will have taught improvisation for a minimum of 5 years, with a minimum of 5 years management experience as well. Knowledge of The Second City’s creative process and an understanding of the company’s artistic and pedagogical philosophies are a huge plus. Excellent communication and leadership skills are required for this position as are superior adaptability, compassion, curiosity and patience.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check.
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, identity, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.