Artistic Director - Training Center
ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through courageous comedy, The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. With sold-out shows playing on stages in Chicago, Toronto, and soon New York, Second City’s Touring and Theatrical companies entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center is the largest school of improvisation-based arts on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and soon New York. Second City Works, the B2B side of Second City, has brought award-winning improvisation and audience-driven techniques to over 600 Fortune 1000 companies, challenging businesses seeking a more collaborative culture to innovate through development programs, original digital and video content, campaign consultation, private events, and more.
The Artistic Director is the creative lead for the Training Center at The Second City, New York. This is a part-time to full-time role, starting August 1st, 2023. This will become a full-time management position responsible for developing and implementing programming to grow The Second City Training Center – New York. The successful candidate will work in three main areas:
1. Be an innovator for growth and change in our organization. This includes creation of new ideas, recruitment of new people, and seeking out new partners.
2. Focus on delivering a high-quality experience to our students. This includes the modernization of curriculum, student performance season planning and the management of our faculty.
3. Keep a connection to the artistic vision of the company, and serve as an advocate for our students to work in our theaters and film projects.
Schedule : This is a full-time exempt position. The ideal candidate for this position is available to work a flexible schedule if needed and will also have some degree of flexibility to set their own schedule.
· Identify growth areas for the Training Center, and align the resources (faculty, technology, etc) needed to drive new enrollments or partnerships
· Present growth opportunities bi-weekly to leadership. Identify key tactics to reach goals and track accordingly on a weekly basis to communicate up to the executive team and ownership
· Help to find grants and organization/community partners to develop new opportunities
· Work with Head of Creative, VP of Production, the larger team of Training Center Artistic Directors (Chicago, Toronto & Virtual), VP of Sales and the VP of Marketing, to set specific goals for each calendar year
· Attend Student Orientation and lead Welcome Sessions each term
· Attend and offer feedback on Training Center related performances, and work with Program Leads and/or Associate Artistic Directors to assure quality and mission
· Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
· A creative problem solver who can think beyond requirements, innovate and provide thoughtful solutions
· Experience creating and implementing processes
· Ability to work with a team in a shared office environment, as well as independently
· Experience coaching and mentoring
· Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and time within a fast-moving environment; timely communication is a must
· Self-starter who works well under pressure and in a constantly changing environment
· Dedication to accuracy and detail, while remaining results-oriented
· Has a track record of handling customer expectations, navigating challenging conversations, and unlocking new opportunities
· Proficiency with Microsoft Suite
· Proficiency with Salesforce or similar online registration or CRM system
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City follows CDC guidelines and recommendations regarding safety measures to navigate the Covid-19 pandemic. To work at The Second City you must show proof of being fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2. Applicants with medical or religious exemptions will be considered.
SALARY - $65,000
START DATE – 08/01/2023