ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through courageous comedy, The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. With sold-out shows playing seven days a week on ten stages in Chicago and Toronto, Second City’s Touring and Theatrical companies entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center is the largest school of improvisation-based arts on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles that serve 11,000 students annually. In 2016, the Harold Ramis Film launched, becoming the world’s only film school dedicated to comedy. Second City Works, the B2B side of Second City, has brought award-winning improvisation and audience-driven techniques to over 600 Fortune 1000 companies, challenging businesses seeking a more collaborative culture to innovate through development programs, original digital and video content, campaign consultation, private events, and more. Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming, including two-time Emmy winner SCTV and the upcoming Martin Scorsese-helmed Netflix documentary exploring the iconic series’ enduring legacy. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Artistic Director is the visionary of Second City’s corporate engagements and products. They will be in incharge of the artistic direction of the live learning, entertainment events and digital products for Second City Works.
This is a Full-time position, 30 hours per week, responsible for developing and implementing programming to grow Second City Works.
The successful candidate will work in three main areas:
- Be an innovator for growth and change in our organization. This includes creation of new ideas, recruitment of new people, and seeking out new partners.
- Focus on delivering a high-quality experience to our clients. This includes the modernization of curriculum and the management of our facilitating team.
- Keep a connection to the artistic vision of the company
Accountabilities and Responsibilities Include (but not limited to)
- Individual responsible for the successful development, maintenance and oversight of all Second City Works (SCW) curriculum, lesson plans and materials - in collaboration with members of the design team and other contributors.
- Working with R&D and Biz Dev leaders, this individual will help develop new and unique learning programs that will keep Second City Works at the forefront of improvisation-based applied corporate education.
- Identify growth areas for Second City Works, needed to drive new products and offerings.
- Attend and offer feedback on Second CIty Works related performances, and work with facilitators to assure quality and mission
- Attend auditions related to Second City Works programs
- Work with the Diversity and Inclusion department to advance the goals of making Second City a stronger, braver, and more diverse community.
- Be an adviser and final arbiter (in conjunction with VP and HR when necessary) of issues involving facilitators and/or clients - including but not limited to issues of harassment, dissatisfaction, tension/frustration, content appropriateness, teaching/learning style, etc.
- Represent Second City in media and press when requested
- Attend and participate in meetings as-needed, such as : Weekly Producers Meeting, Weekly Second City Creative Meeting, Bi-monthly casting meeting
Management of Facilitators
- This position will also help create and deploy the hiring, training and continuing education for SCW facilitators - with a key understanding of SCW’s commitment to DEI efforts.
- Help design and implement a fair and equitable system for the ongoing hiring of designers and facilitators for client and project based work.
- Develop Facilitator Orientation and lead Welcome Sessions
- Work to recruit, train, and mentor corporate facilitators, designers and hosts
- Design and run Facilitator meetings and Development Sessions
- Oversee the evaluation of Second City Works facilitators, designers and hosts
- Participate in appropriate facilitator reviews
The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree in theatre with intensive focus on improvisation. He/ she/ they should have been teaching improvisation for a minimum of 5 years and should also have a minimum of 5 years management experience. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of Second City’s process and an understanding of the company as a whole. Excellent communication and leadership skills are required for this position.
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.