The Second City respects the individual needs of every single guest and student who joins us for an experience, including those requiring accessibility accommodations. For people with mobility, hearing or sight disabilities, The Second City offers the following services, which can be requested in advance by contacting the Box Office or our Customer Service Team 7 days a week.
Please note that available services vary by location.
Chicago: 230 W. North Ave., 1st Floor
Toronto: 51 Mercer Street, Toronto ON
Hollywood: 6560 Hollywood Blvd., 2nd Floor
Chicago: (312) 337-3992
Toronto: (416) 343-0011
Hollywood: (323) 464-8542
You can also send a request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
When requesting access or purchasing tickets to an accessible show, please indicate which service(s) you are in need of for us to best accommodate you. We look forward to welcoming you!
For People With Mobility Disabilities
- Second City’s resident theatres (Mainstage and e.t.c.), UP Comedy Club, the de Maat Studio Theater, The Blackout Cabaret, Judy’s Beat Lounge and Donny’s Skybox are equipped with wheelchair accessible seats. Front, side and back row seats are available without requiring the use of stairs.
- Accessible parking is available at 230 W. North Ave. in Piper’s Alley Self Park. (Between North Park Ave. & Wells St.)
- An elevator is located on the main floor of Piper’s Alley next to the box office. A Second City volunteer can assist anyone requiring assistance by contacting our Box Office at (312) 337-3992.
*Please be advised The Second City Studio Theater in Hollywood is not wheelchair accessible at this time.
For People Who Are Deaf Or Hard Of Hearing
- Assistive hearing devices, compatible with personal headphones and earbuds, are available upon request. Complimentary headphones and neck loops are provided. Inquire at the Box Office, or reserve ahead of time by contacting the Box Office.
- Headsets are available for complimentary use during Mainstage and e.t.c. Theater performances at the Box Office.
- Open captioned and American Sign Language performances are being organized for future performances in the Mainstage, e.t.c. Theater and UP Comedy Club. For more information on the schedule and showtimes, please email email@example.com.
For People Who Are Blind Or Have Vision Impairment
- Audio assistive performances of Mainstage, e.t.c and UP Comedy Club performances can be requested.
- Seat assistance from curb to seat can be arranged in advance of your arrival.
- A large-print playbill is available upon request.
For People With Service Animals
- Support for service animals can be provided with advance notice.
The Second City’s Commitment To Providing Laughter For All
The Second City strives to provide accessibility accommodations and foster an environment of inclusion for every person who enters our doors in a way that respects the dignity and independence of all, including those with disabilities.
Staff & Training
The Second City will provide training to all employees who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf and all those involved in the development and approvals of customer service policies, practices and procedures. These employees include but are not limited to: Front Of House staff, Box Office staff, Management, Sales and Reception. Training will be provided within three months of the commencement of duties. Training will include the following:
- Familiarity with the Accessibility Act and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of impairments.
- How to interact with people who use an assisted device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- How to aid visitors having difficulty in accessing The Second City’s venues.
- The Second City’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard. Staff will be trained on an ongoing basis related to changes in these policies, practices and procedures.
The Second City is committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with impairments. Any policy of The Second City’s that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
This policy exists to achieve service excellence to customers with impairments. If anyone has a question about the policy or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation will be provided by the General Manager, Tim Christoffersen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Vice President of Operations, Mike Conway (email@example.com).
The Second City’s ultimate goal is to meet and surpass customer expectations while serving all guests and students, including those with impairments. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated. Feedback regarding the way The Second City provides experiences to people with disabilities can be made via email or in person. All feedback will be directed to the Operations Manager. Customers can expect to hear back within three days.