Writing 1 is for any student who is looking to start the journey of writing to and for a Second City-style revue. This class is the foundation for scenic comedy writing, a guide for utilizing an improviser’s skill set for rapid creation, and learning writing refinement. The concepts and tools provided in Writing 1 are the building blocks for being able to quickly and creatively write to and for a Second City-style revue. Every comedic writer must have the knowledge and skills that are offered in this course.
Writing 1 teaches students how to write comedic scenes that could be found in a Second City-style revue by exploring different scenic set-ups, character dialogue, genres and point-of-view. Students use improv as a tool for character and dialogue generation.
Writing 1 class time includes a combination of solo exercises and collaborative exercises to build skills in brainstorming, comedic structure and character development. Students also gain a Second City perspective on theatrical writing – including observation, idea generation, dialogue, and character creation. Feedback focuses on ‘what works’ in terms of the structural building blocks. Class time is active, positive and encouraging. Students practice concepts through a series of weekly homework assignments.
Any student interested in creating Second City-style comedic writing or interested in extending their improvisation abilities and experiences into writing should take Writing 1.
- Writing 1 · Wednesdays · 6-9PM (9/8-10/20)
- Writing 1 · Mondays · 6-9PM (9/13-10-25)
- Writing 1 · Sundays · 12-3PM (9/19-10/31)
- Writing 1 · Thursdays · 6-9PM (9/9-10/21)
- Writing 1 · Sundays · 10:30-1:30PM (9/12-10/24)
- Writing 1 · Saturdays · 2-5PM (9/18-10/30)
- Writing 1 · Wednesdays · 4-7PM (9/22-11/3)
- Writing 1 Intensive · Friday-Sunday · 9AM-3PM (9/24-9/26)
- Writing 1 · Sundays · 10:30-1:30PM (10/3-11/14)
Featured classes are listed above. to see ALL OPTIONS click HERE