Improv for Anxiety ages 12-14 & 15-18
Improv for Anxiety for Teens is an innovative class that combines ensemble-based improv, along with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), to help teens overcome the fear and avoidance associated with social anxiety. A Second City instructor will lead the 1-hour class.
At the end of the class, a licensed therapist will facilitate a one-hour session applying improv and CBT to manage social anxiety. After each session, emails will be sent out to parents regarding parenting strategies that will complement your child’s goals. Parents are also suggested to attend a two-hour group in the last week (week 8) of the program emphasizing additional strategies to use with their child in the future, in addition to relating and being supported by other parents.
Although Improv for Anxiety was developed for people with social anxiety, teens with other anxiety challenges are welcome to participate.
Health Insurance: This class may be eligible to be submitted to your insurance company for reimbursement at the out-of-network level.
Improv for Anxiety meets once a week for two hours over a seven week term.
Is the Improv for Anxiety Class right for me?
- Does being nervous or uncomfortable around other people keep you from doing things you want to do?
- Does your fear of public speaking or talking to teachers get in the way at school?
- Is being embarrassed or looking stupid one of your worst fears?
- Do you limit how involved you become with people because you are afraid of letting them get to know you? Do you worry that if people really knew you, they wouldn’t like you?
- Do you find yourself turning down invitations to social events because you know you would feel uncomfortable if you went?
- Does being the center of attention make you feel very uncomfortable and self-conscious?
- Do you worry about blushing or looking nervous in front of other people?
- Do you have trouble stating your opinion or asking for something you deserve because you worry about what others will think of you?
- Do you constantly worry people will make fun of you?
Improv for Anxiety for adult students is also available.