SC Alum Tina Fey and 30 Rock co-executive producer Robert Carlock will be back on NBC next fall with a new New York-based single-camera series starring another familiar NBC face, The Office alumna Ellie Kemper. The network has given a straight-to-series 13-episode order to the untitled project, written by Fey and Carlock. It will center on a woman (Kemper) who escapes from a doomsday cult and starts life over in New York City. Universal TV and Fey’s studio-based Little Stranger are producing, with Fey, Carlock and 3 Arts’ David Miner executive producing. Read the full story.10/31/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 31 2013
Oct 21 2013
Bob Derkach, musical director alum of Toronto Mainstage with a DVDROM currently on-board the Phoenix Lander in the northern plains of planet Mars, has been appointed to the advisory board of the New Horizons Message Initiative. The aim is to send a global message into interstellar space via the New Horizons spacecraft which will rendezvous with Pluto and its moons in 2015. Bob invites all Second Citizens to help in this mission by signing a petition to NASA to green-light this amazing project. Please check out the website and sign the petition.10/21/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 16 2013
Fresh off a new season of everyone's favourite TV improv show, "Whose Line is it Anyway?" Colin Mochrie (a Second City Mainstage alumn) and Brad Sherwood are touring the world with their completely made-up comedy!
Catch their show in Toronto on Wednesday, October 30 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre.
Learn more about the evening here.10/16/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 11 2013
Conservatory Graduate and current Skybox Performer, Michael Bloomquist, created a pilot entitled "The Perfect Cover" that has been named a finalist for the Hollywood Screenplay Contest, one of the world's most visible and recognized screenplay competitions, regarded among the leading international awards honoring excellence in screenwriting. It has also been named a quarter-finalist for the Final Draft Big Break screenwriting contest, which represents the top 12% of 6,669 entries. For my category I'm placed in the top 10% so far. Decisions on semi-finalists and finalists are coming the next few weeks.
"The Perfect Cover" is a half-hour mockumentary sitcom about four KGB agents living in Mankato, MN during the Cold War, in 1982. As part of their cover they run a bed and breakfast called The Perfect Cover. It's told completely through hidden cameras set up by the KGB. Interviews are conducted with the characters in present day.
After attending film schools in North Carolina and California, Michael decided to focus on comedy and moved to Chicago to do improv. Improv wasn't his only passion, however. Michael has been writing consistently; putting up sketch shows, writing for live late night talk shows, and writing spec scripts and pilots for TV. Last year, he took a well reviewed two-man sketch show to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the largest open access arts festival in the world.
For more info or to register for classes, call 312.664.3959 or visit secondcity.com/tc10/11/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 9 2013
Rick Kogan is taking Chicago Live! – and the top stories and faces of the Chicago Tribune – back to the south suburbs. Meet Rick on Thursday November 14th at 7:00pm and enjoy a special evening of interviews, musical performances and comedy featuring The Second City.
To purchase tickets, visit the Governors State University box office.
Special Guests Include:
- Music by The Otis Clay Revue
- Kathy O’Malley and Judy Markey, returning WGN Radio favorites of the "Kathy & Judy" show
- Glassblower Charles Lotton and more.
Chicago Live! is taped for broadcast on WGN Radio. 10/9/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 9 2013
Meet Your Favorite Celebrities
And Learn Something New with FREE and Discounted Tickets to Chicago Ideas Week!
Are you a fan of Iron Chef? Want an autographed book from your favorite author? Curious as to what a Sex and the City actress has to do with preserving our planet?
Chicago Ideas Week (CIW) is thrilled to invite you to its seven-day innovation festival where The Second City’s very own CEO Tom Yorton and Executive Vice President Kelly Leonard will be taking the stage at Work: The Remix Master Class. As part of The Second City community, you can snag one of 75 free tickets to the Oct. 16 event by using the promo code CIW2CITY13! Just visit www.chicagoideas.com, select your event and type it in.
CIW runs Oct. 14 – 20, and the below are just some of the other speakers and select promo codes for you to take advantage of starting next week.
- Kristin Davis – Hear Charlotte from Sex and the City share how she’s helping save wildlife, and how you can help at Environment: Conserve and Protect. Save 25% Code: CIW13ENVM
- Gary Sinise – You may know this award-winning actor and veterans’ advocate as Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump, but listen as he reveals how traditional jobs are changing forever at Work: Fueling Performance. Save 25% Code: CIW1325WORK
- Malcolm Gladwell – Take in this New York Times best-selling author’s wisdom during Lessons: The Choice is Yours.
- Elizabeth Smart – This kidnapping victim survived her nine-month ordeal and is using it to help others. Hear more at Instigators: The Good Fight. Save 25% Code: CIW13INSTG
- Dan Savage – This renowned author found a unique way to make the world a better place. Find out how and join him at Instigators: The Good Fight. Save 25% Code: CIW13INSTG
- Cat Cora - Want to meet an Iron Chef? Find out how she got the top title and more at Food: At the Chef’s Table.
- Graham Elliot – Find out what this MasterChef judge REALLY thinks at Food: At the Chef’s Table.
- David Gregory – The host of NBC’s Meet the Press has interviewed countless presidents and political movers and shakers. Get his take the status of our country during Politics: State of our Union.
- Mike Posner – Hear this singer, songwriter and producer share how artists keep their fan base in an evolving music industry at Music: Evolution of the Artist.
- Marc Geiger – Love Lollapalooza? Meet the guy who started it and heads WME’s music department, which represents everyone from Lady Gaga to Nine Inch Nails, at Music: Evolution of the Artist.
- Rex Walheim – Hear what it’s like to be in space from an astronaut who has done it all at Next: Tomorrow, Today.
- Brad Keywell – Be the first to know about the future of business and why entrepreneurship is so freaking exciting from CIW’s founder and the co-founder of Groupon and Lightbank at Entrepreneurship: How I Did It.
- Terry McMillan – She wrote Waiting to Exhale and left a legacy in the process. Hear what inspired her at Storytellers: The Written Word. Save 25% Code: CIW13STRY
Oct 9 2013
Starting Friday Oct 18th and running every Friday until the winning team is crowned, the John Candy Box will be hosting it’s very own improv battle.10/9/2013 Comments (0)
Teams of two, three and four improvisers will be given 20 minutes to wow the audience. Team will include folks ranging from experienced Second City alumni, faculty and students to those who are newcomers to our community. Each show will consist of three teams duking it out head to head in the spirit of friendly competition. Each audience member will be given one ballot and can vote for who they believe is the most deserving to win the night and move on to the next round.
There is a minimum $250 cash prize for the tournament champions. Come on out, vote and get involved in what is sure to be an exciting competition.
Follow all the updates on Facebook !
Oct 8 2013
Second City Student and On-Air Personality, Brian Elles, Flies With Chicago Air and Water Show Pilot
With support from the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events with the City of Chicago Mayor's Office, Brian Elles, the Host and Producer of Chi-Town Podcast, was asked to partake in media days for the Chicago Air & Water Show.
The media day resulted in an in air demo flight for himself as well as Chi-Town Podcast Videographer, Steve Bartles. The short video segment of the podcast highlights key Chicago landmarks such as the Willis (Sears) Tower, Navy Pier and Solider Field as well as advanced aerial maneuvers and stunts.
A graduate of The Second City’s Improv for Actors Program, Brian Elles continues to create new content with fresh perspectives. Previously working for network television and radio outlets, Brian combines his past media experiences with his entrepreneurial attitude to deliver a new video-podcast called Chi-Town Podcast. With direct support and access from the City of Chicago Mayor's Office as well as Comedy Central Networks, Brian continues to create unique content with a fresh perspective.
Images and previous videos can be accessed on his YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/brianelles
For more info or to register for classes, call 312.664.3959 or visit secondcity.com/tc10/8/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 8 2013
Congratulations to a slew of Second City Toronto alums who all walked away winners from last night's Canadian Comedy Awards including: Colin Mochrie, Jim Annan, Naomi Snieckus, Stacey McGunnigle, Jason DeRosse, Jan Caruana, Robin Duke and the folks from "Space Janitors" (Best Web Series), "A Little Bit Zombie" (Best Screenplay) and "Mantown" (Best Improv Troupe).10/8/2013 Comments (0)
We couldn't be more proud!
Oct 4 2013
Join us on Saturday, October 19th for our ANNUAL OPEN HOUSE from 1pm-5pm.
There'll be face painting, candy, popcorn, a photobooth, and of course the opportunity to participate in all sorts of awesome workshops and see shows in The John Candy Box Theatre for FREE!
FREE! THE WHOLE DAY IS FREE! NO MONEY NEEDED!
This is an awesome chance for you to try out that class you've wondered about for so long and bring friends and family who might be interested in seeing what happens at The Second City Training Centre!
Spaces in the workshops are limited, so it's first come first served! Hint: *show up early
SCHEDULE OF WORKSHOPS:
(45 minutes each)
1pm – Adult Improv
2pm – Adult Improv
All ages Drop In
Musical Improv Drop In
3pm – Adult Improv
4pm – Adult Improv
SCHEDULE OF SHOWS:
3pm- The Second City's Education Company Show: Zombie Bootcamp #NightoftheLearningDead
4pm- Musical Conservatory Show Starring Conservatory 4 and 5!10/4/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 2 2013
FOX has picked up Saturday Night Live alum, John Mulaney's, multi-camera project for at least six episodes. SC Alum, Martin Short, is slated to star alongside John Mulaney. Read on for more details about "Mulaney."10/2/2013 Comments (0)
Oct 1 2013
A big thank you to the hundreds of those who came out to celebrate Bernie Sahlins last night. Chris Jones from the Chicago Tribune wrote up a lovely recap of last night's activities. We were also very fortunate to have such friends and alums join us as Colin Mochrie, Bill Murray, John Mahoney, Geoffrey Palmer, Joan Allen, William Petersen, Amy Morton and many more.10/1/2013 Comments (0)
Thank you to all. It was a night to be remembered.