We have classes for all ages and levels of experience. Browse our course catalog, or register now!
The first and only one of its kind, The Second City Directing Program is a year-long focused study of directing improvisation and revue comedy. A small group of select participants (an average of six) immerse themselves in a program that covers the unique and specific skills required to work as a professional director for The Second City.
This professionally-oriented intensive program includes:
- Discussions with current and former Second City actors, directors, producers, and teachers
- Hands on work with actors
- Assistant directing assignments in various Second City divisions
- Coursework in improvisation, sketch writing and music
- Several formal directing projects presented in Donny’s Skybox Theatre
The program is divided into four ten-week terms which cover a one-year period. New students are admitted into the program in July. Prospective students must have a flexible schedule as some of the classes and assignments take place during the day and others in the evening and on weekends. The time commitment is approximately 15-18 hours per week. Specific hours will vary depending on assignments.
Tuition for the one year program is $3300. Students accepted into the program may later apply for financial aid opportunities.
Topics covered through the year (one per term):
- Foundation work: history and theory of comedy, the aesthetics of revue, history and terminology specific to The Second City.
- Directing sketch: working with Second City archive material, casting, directing and managing an ensemble of actors, creating running order. Concludes with a group showcase presentation of Second City archive material.
- The Process: creating material through improvisation. Directors cast, rehearse and present a 25-minute, fully improvised piece.
- Putting it all together: creating a full original revue, working collaboratively, how to get and retain a job. Concludes with each director presenting a five to six-week run of a one-act comedy revue.
Applications for the 2013-14 program are available here. Applications are due by April 12, 2013. Interviews will be held in May, and final decisions will be made by June 1.
Applications should be mailed to:
Second City Training Center
1616 N Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60640